Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Age of Entitlement

   One of my favorite periods to study in history is the Age of Enlightenment.  At this time many philosophers, scientists and political theorists began to stress the importance of reason and inquiry, to use rational ideas to explain the world around them.  Thomas Paine referred to it as the Age of Reason.  This period gave us Adam Smith's explanation of free market economics, John Locke's explanation for the nature of rights, and the united states Constitution.  To me, this is the most intellectually exciting period other than Greco-Roman.  I understand how these men thought. This is the way I think.
   The world I live in today, I don't understand.  I don't understand how people think today.  It's not the way I think.   It seems to me that people today think only about immediate results, and only the good immediate results.   People want more for themselves right now, without thinking what that means for later.  It seems people don't use reason, they use emotion.  When they rebut a point, they don't talk about how logical or illogical it is; they talk about how bad or mean or good it is.   It seems everyone wants to gain, but no one wants to lose.  Which is contrary to reason that that can occur; but it feels like a good idea.  People seem to feel as though they don't want to earn anything, just have it, then and there.  
   Except meaning the loss of my modern conveniences, I think I would be more at home in the Age of Enlightenment.  But it seems like I'm living in the Age of Entitlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribers