Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Matter of Disclosure

Aside from Disclosure being a great movie with the in her prime Demi Moore, I have something I feel is my obligation to say. Through all the railing against government spending I do; I to am on the government doll. It is not somthing I am proud of, in fact it has given me many restless night.
My father is a disabled veteran for the US Air Force, and through him I recieve benefits for going to school. I did drop out of school in Las Vegas to come back and help him here in Wisconsin when he fell ill. My parents wanted me to go back to school and get a degree so I could earn more to help take care of the family. So; when things settled down I went back to college; driving 62 miles (each way) a day to attend class while staying close to help take care of my dad. And the VA dissability pays for my schooling and gives me money to live off.
Even though I have never called for the stoppage of veterans assistance from the government; the fact that I get money from this has pained me. I call for less government spending, and yet I am a cause of it. In my ultimate goal, veteran assistance would be the last thing I would cut; since doing their duty to the government is what caused these men to be in the predicament they are in to begin with, but as everything else I would rather it be held in private hands up to the donors.
I often wonder if my predicament jives with what I preach, and the answer I have come up with is yes. I see it like a civil case; if we were to sue in civil court for the loss of my father's limbs we would win, so it seems justified. But somehow it does not sit well with me. If I could could stop all other government waste by denying the fruits of this I would. But then again I suppose anyone else would most likely say something similar.
So what do you think; is my case just or am I a hipocrat? let me know what you think by leaving a comment. Maybe then I could sleep at night.

Always attempting to be truthful

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribers